Mumbai: Hollywood’s biggest glamorous and shining night has taken place, honouring the movie industry’s finest stars from the past 12 months. The 93rd Oscars was on April 25, 2021, at Union Station Los Angeles and the Dolby Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Centre.
In a stunning close to a predictable Oscar ceremony, Anthony Hopkins won Best Actor for his work in The Father over the late Chadwick Boseman, who died last year of cancer and has created a grand season for his phenomenal performance in Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom.
Chloe Zhao made history at the 93rd Academy Awards as the first woman of colour to win the Oscar for Best Director for Nomadland, which also won Best Picture. Moreover, she’s only the second woman in Oscar history to win the award after The Hurt Locker director Kathryn Bigelow.
FULL LIST of WINNERS of the 93rd Academy Awards:
- Best Picture – Nomadland
- Best Director – Nomadland – Chloé Zhao
- Best Film Editing – Sound of Metal – Mikkel EG Nielsen
- Best Cinematography – Mank – Erik Messerschmidt
- Best Visual Effects – Tenet – Andrew Jackson, David Lee, Andrew Lockley, and Scott Fisher
- Best Actress – Frances McDormand – Nomadland
- Best Actor – Anthony Hopkins – The Father
- Best Supporting Actress – Yuh-Jung Youn – Minari
- Best Supporting Actor – Daniel Kaluuya – Judas and the Black Messiah
- Best Original Screenplay – Promising Young Woman – Emerald Fennell
- Best Adapted Screenplay – The Father – Christopher Hampton, Florian Zeller
- Best Animated Feature – Soul
- Best Documentary Feature – My Octopus Teacher – Pippa Ehrlich, James Reed, and Craig Foster
- Best International Feature – Another Round (Denmark)
- Best Original Song – Fight For You – Judas and the Black Messiah (H.E.R., Dernst Emile II, and Tiara Thomas)
- Best Original Score – Soul – Trent Reznor, Atticus Ross and Jon Batiste
- Best Costume Design – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom – Ann Roth
- Best Sound – Sound of Metal – Nicolas Becker, Jaime Baksht, Michelle Couttolenc, Carlos Cortés and Phillip Bladh
- Best Production Design – Mank – Donald Graham Burt and Jan Pascale
- Best Make-up and Hairstyling – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom – Sergio Lopez-Rivera, Mia Neal and Jamika Wilson
- Best Live Action Short – Two Distant Strangers – Travon Free and Martin Desmond Roe
- Best Animated Short – If Anything Happens I Love You – Will McCormack and Michael Govier
- Best Documentary Short – Colette – Anthony Giacchino and Alice Doyard
93rd Academy Awards ‘In Memoriam’ section paid tributes to remarkable Indian celebs including Irrfan Khan, Soumitra Chatterjee , Bhanu Athaiya, Sushant Singh Rajput, Shashikala, and Rishi Kapoor who departed the world in 2020. Bhanu Athaiya was the first Oscar winner from India, taking home the trophy for Best Costume Design for the 1982 film Gandhi.