The Government on Saturday released the map of India showing newly created Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir and Ladakh. The Ministry of Home Affairs in a statement said that Union Territory of Ladakh comprises two areas of Kargil and Leh whereas the rest of the recent state of Jammu and Kashmir is within the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
Some Important Facts of J&K – Not to miss!
- In 1947, Jammu and Kashmir had
14 districts – Kathua, Jammu, Udhampur, Reasi, Anantnag, Baramulla, Poonch,
Mirpur, Muzaffarabad, Leh and Ladakh, Gilgit, Gilgit Wazarat, Chilhas and
- By 2019, the Government of the recent
state of Jammu and Kashmir had revamped the regions of these 14 districts into
- The names of the new districts
were – Kupwara, Bandipur, Ganderbal, Srinagar, Budgam, Pulwama, Shupian,
Kulgam, Rajouri, Ramban, Doda, Kishtivar, Samba, and Kargil.
- Out of these, Kargil district was carved out from the zone of Leh and Ladakh district.
- The Leh area of the new UT of Ladakh has been characterized within the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation (Removal of Difficulties) Second Order, 2019 issued by the President of India, to incorporate the zones of the districts of Gilgit, Gilgit Wazarat, Chilhas, and Tribal Region of 1947.
With the suggestion of Parliament, the President successfully destroyed Article 370 of the Indian Structure and gave consent to the Jammu and Kashmir Reorganisation Act, 2019. The statement said that under the leadership of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Home Minister Amit Shah, the recent state of Jammu and Kashmir has been revamped as the new Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir and new Union Territory of Ladakh on October 31, 2019.