- Cabinet approves merger of Vijaya Bank, Dena Bank and Bank of Baroda; first-ever three way merger in Indian Banking. The amalgamated entity will be India’s second largest Public Sector Bank and India’s third largest bank with a total business of more than Rs 14.82 lakh crore.
- RBI constituted a High-Level Committee on Deepening of Digital Payments to encourage digitisation of payments and enhance financial inclusion. The five-member committee will be headed by UIDAI’s former Chairman Nandan Nilekani.
- Finance Minister Nirmala
Sitharaman presented first budget of the Modi 2.0 government
- Union Minister of Commerce
& Industry and Civil Aviation, cleared proposals to encourage investments
in Start-Ups, aiming at simplifying the process of exemptions for Start-ups
from the ‘Angel Tax’ under Section 56 (2) (viib) of Income Tax Act, 1961.
- Prime Narendra Modi on March 27, 2019 announced that India has established itself as the world’s 4th largest space super power. The Prime Minister stated that the feat is historic, as till now, only three countries in the world – United States of America, Russia and China have achieved this.
- India is ranked 17th position among 100 countries in Startup Ecosystem Ranking for 2019 released by StartupBlink, Improving from 37th place last year.
- In an election that saw as many as 900 million citizens casting their votes, incumbent Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) attained a landslide victory, winning 303 out of 543 seats. The substantial win confirmed a second term for Modi as the country’s prime minister.
- Mumbai finds place in top 20 most expensive cities in Asia for expatriates according to the survey done by the global consulting leader- Mercer. The residential housing prices remain the highest in the world.
- The BJP’s BS Yediyurappa was sworn in for the fourth time as Karnataka Chief Minister in July after the fall of the 14-month-old Congress-Janata Dal Secular coalition in a test of strength.
- NITI Aayog sanctioned 5645
electric buses for operations in 65 cities and for inter-city operations to 8
state transport undertakings.
- Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India tightened norms that governs resolution professionals (RPs), barring them from having employment when they are in possession of authorisation to take up work under insolvency law.
- Government of India revoked the special status, or limited autonomy, granted under Article 370 of the Indian Constitution to Jammu and Kashmir—a region administered by India as a state.
- The government released the final version of the NRC, with over 9 lakh people in Assam left out from the list.
- Chandrayaan 2, India’s third expedition to a celestial body after Chandrayaan 1 and
Mars Orbiter mission, suffered a setback on September 7 when lander Vikram lost
communication with the ground station. A successful landing would have made
India just the fourth country to achieve a soft landing on the lunar surface.
This was nearly a month after the July 22 launch of Rs 970-crore mission.
- Pradhan Mantri Matru Vandana
Yojana (PMMVY) achieved a significant milestone by
crossing 1 crore beneficiaries.
- Google signed a partnership agreement with the state-owned operator Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd. (BSNL). The partnership aims to bring public WiFi to villages in states namely Gujarat, Bihar, and Maharashtra.
- Howdy Modi: The event was organised on 22 September 2019 in Houston, Texas where about 50,000 people of Indian origin from across the US attended the event. It was the largest ever gathering of the Indian-origin that took place for the first time and addressed by PM Narendra Modi and US President, Donald Trump.
- The International Monetary Fund
in its biennial report – World Economic Outlook estimates India’s GDP growth at
6.1 percent. India’s sharpest cut in the economy is next to Saudi Arabia’s 1.7
percent in 2019
- Government announced the
setting up of a Rs 25,000 crore alternative investment fund (AIF), aimed at
providing relief to developers with unfinished projects to ensure delivery of
homes to buyers.
- Supreme Court’s landmark verdict in Ayodhya dispute – Historic verdict on the century-old legal dispute over the land in Ayodhya where the 16th century Babri mosque stood before it was razed in 1992 by Hindu activists, the Supreme Court on 9th November 2019 said that the disputed land belongs entirely to the deity Ram Lalla or infant Lord Ram. A five-judge constitution bench also ruled that a “prominent site” in the holy town in Uttar Pradesh will be allotted for a new mosque.
- Uddhav Thackeray’s Historic Win: Elections were held this year in a few states counting Haryana, Maharashtra and Chhatisgarh that voted as of late. Maharashtra saw a sensational turn of occasions after the survey comes about as the BJP fell separated with its decades-old partner Shiv Sena over power-sharing. From ideologically distinctive Sena and Congress coming together to BJP’s Devendra Fadnavis taking vow as the Chief Minister at an unannounced event – Maharashtra saw everything.
- Eventually, Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray was sworn in as the Chief Minister about a month after the survey comes about, when Mr Fadnavis confessed he did not have sufficient numbers to clear the floor test requested by the Supreme Court.
- Regime change in Maharashtra shrinks NDA’s political footprint. Uddhav’s takeover as CM signals slowdown in momentum for BJP, which has lost 4 states in one year.
- The Citizenship (Amendment) Act, 2019 was passed by the Parliament of India that amended the Citizenship Act of 1955 by providing a path to Indian citizenship for Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Jain, Parsi, and Christian religious minorities fleeing persecution from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan.
- At the end of the year, the parliament on December 11 cleared however another disputable enactment – the Citizenship Amendment Act, which makes religion test for citizenship for the primary time in India. The government says the CAA will offer assistance to non-Muslims minorities who fled devout mistreatment in Muslim-dominated Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh get Indian citizenship effectively.
- Protests against the CAA across the country intensified after police clampdown on students at Delhi’s Jamia Millia University and Aligarh Muslim University on December 15.
- Donald Trump impeached on two counts by House of Representatives