Shreyasi Maiti in conversation with Dr. Darshana Mhatre, an Ayurveda doctor exploring natural way of medication and treatments for individual needs and specific disease conditions
Health, beauty, diet and travel – all these ways Ayurveda heals and enhances our lives. Today, most patients are inclined with conventional medications, so ayurvedic treatments are picking up slowly above medical approaches. Ayurveda is often translated as “The Science of Life”. It is not just a medical discipline, but a way to understand the universe and its relationship to our body, mind and spirit. Dr. Darshana Mhatre brings all-important ayurvedic treatments that you need to know – from wellness, nutrition and lots more.
Speaking about Ayuvardhan Clinic, how did it happen and how it’s makes different?
Dr. Darshana Mhatre is a revelation. I am extremely informative in my session and attend the queries of the participants with great ease and poise. I am courteous, compassionate and competent and also a great listener to my regular patients as well and puts their nervousness to rest in no time. It is a boon to come across such individuals who are as cooperative as they are humble. I have pursued Ayurveda from Mumbai (R.A.Podar), completed P.G in Pharmacovigilance and also achieved Life Member of Indian Academy of Acupuncture science.
What are the benefits offered in Ayuvardhan Clinic?
- Ayurvedic Medicines
- Panchkarma Treatment – Detoxification of Body
- Cosmetic Acupuncture
- Acupressure (colour and seed therapy)
- Garbhasanskar Treatment – Prenatal development of child and mother Wellbeing
- Online Consultation
- Given webinar on Covid-19 – Precautions and how to increase our immunity
- Immune medicine available with us
- All Government advisory medicines are available with us
Why did you choose Ayurveda? How effective is traditional medicine as a cure?
I believe Ayurveda can solve all problems. The response time is really quick if the patient follows the instructions. My father always wanted me to become a doctor and I had an inclination towards natural treatments. I opened my clinic with ayurvedic treatment facilities, with the name of Ayuvardhan Clinic in Navi Mumbai. The treatment response got better when I started giving medicines along with Ayurvedic therapies like Vasti Chikitsa which is a purification procedure and a part of panchkarma treatment, acupuncture, and potli massages for neurological problems like chronic arthritis, cervical spondylitis etc. Sometimes if there are some problem persisting for a long time and the patient has already taken many other medicines, it will take a little longer time for Ayurvedic medicines to work. But if everything is followed religiously by the patient, then the results come out truly positive.
What do you think is the future of Ayurveda and its role in integrated medicine?
Our ancient science of Ayurveda has lots to offer to us in terms of curing any health problem. Moreover, this is the only science that tells you about the precise principles of preventing any disease. It is a spiritual score too that educates us on the purpose of human birth and how to keep our mind on the right path in order to bring positivity.
How to lessen COVID symptoms with the help of Ayurveda?
While COVID-19 is a serious complication must be kept under expert supervision, there are certain simple remedies to lessen COVID-19 symptoms in Ayurveda.
- Get up early in the morning and do regular Pranayam
- You can have warm water with dry ginger and tulsi leaves. To make this easy concoction, boil some water with a piece of dry ginger until it’s reduced to half of its quantity. Add some tulsi leaves and drink it multiple times a day.
- Take your breakfast before 9 am., lunch before 1 PM and dinner before 8 PM. Have freshly cooked and warm meals.
- Spices like cinnamon, pepper, cardamom, and cloves are good if you add to your meals. Include turmeric and ginger too.
- Get 8 hours of sleep every night without fail. Our immunity is made and restocked when we sleep. Try not to sleep during the day.
- If you are asymptomatic, have fruits like pomegranate and raisins.
- Have well-cooked vegetables, do not have raw vegetables or salads. Make sure to eat fruit vegetables such as guard, pumpkin, flower, ladyfinger etc..
- Avoid oily food, bakery products, maida products.
What is the better option to improve immunity in Ayurveda?
Immunity depends on lungs, spleen and blood. We can improve the immunity through Ayurveda as follows:
Diet: Diet has to follow according to prakrity. Well-balanced diet has a crucial role in maintaining your immunity and fighting infections. Foods that are rich in vitamin C awala and antioxidants such as fruit vegetables, seasonal fruits like custard apple, oranges, papaya, guava, chickoo etc. boost your defence mechanism tremendously.
It is important to consume antioxidant-rich foods to control inflammation in your body by eliminating free radicals, which are linked to numerous chronic health conditions like cancers, heart diseases, etc. And, including foods with fibre content maintains your gut microbiome, boosting your immunity and preventing infections in your digestive tract.
- Make a habit to start the day with an herbal tea made of tulsi, ginger, and long pepper.
- Use black pepper and turmeric in your meal preparations every day.
- Avoid sweet and fruits after 6PM.
- Avoid virudha aahar eg. milk product & fish, milk & fruit mixture, hot & cold together
- Non-veg food to be cooked properly.
Physical and Mental health:
- Pranayama, meditation, positive thinking, shloka chanting are also ways to boost the immunity.
- Detoxification of your body.
- Apply ayurvedic oil on your body.
Plant and grow as many trees as possible to increase Oxygen.
Why is the Ayurveda medicinal system neglected?
There is a misconception that Ayurveda, Siddha takes a long time for treatment. Despite the fact it is false. There are many medicine and medical conditions where ayurveda gives faster relief than any other medical system. Being an Ayurvedic expert, I would mention that lack of sincere ayurvedic knowledge has developed this.
Despite the present government’s initiative over the years to popularize AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga or Naturopathy Unani, Siddha and homoeopathy), the people now are becoming inclined towards Ayurvedic treatment both in rural and urban India.
What message you would like to convey on this Doctor’s Day?
I just want to say, please listen to your inner instincts when your body gives you the first, slightest signal of something going wrong inside you. Don’t ignore the first itch and give your body the benefit of healing up with natural medicines, herbs and yoga.